Thursday, September 27, 2012

Shaking things up.

“Believe me: I am in my Father and my Father is in me. If you can’t believe that, believe what you see—these works. The person who trusts me will not only do what I’m doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I’ve been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I’ll do it. That’s how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I’ll do. John 14:11-14 (MSG)

Seriously?!?! Jesus made this statement after a season of performing miracles every day, teaching the Pharisees, healing disease, and casting out demons. And then He turns around and throws THIS out there. What?!?!
Do we realize that Jesus was saying this to US?! Not to some amazing religious leader or saint. Not to some incredibly famous pastor or speaker. But to His disciples. Stinky, poor fishermen who were following Him on His journey and trying to figure Him out. Just everyday workers. To YOU. To ME. We have been given all the power and authority of the God of the Universe. To do even greater things than Jesus because the Holy Spirit is at residing and at work within us. (Let THAT sink in for a minute.) He even goes as far as to say that whatever we ask for that lines up with His character, He promises to give. Boom! just like that! And we continue to strive for normalcy? For the nice house with the white picket fence? For the new car or new gadget? We go as far as to complain sometimes that we're BORED?! I truly believe that if we are bored or boring, we are flat living out of the will of God. Something within me screams out today that if we actually grasped the truth of what Jesus says here, we would be shaking up this world. And our lives would be looking nothing like the "normal" American. You have the hope of the Universe within you. Go bring it to this decaying and hurting culture. Go be a world changer. Start being anything but normal.

No comments: