Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lessons from Alex.

There's a boy named Alex who's been around church for years. He's only 5 years younger than me, but I've sorta watched him grow up. You see, Alex has several severe disabilities that cause him to struggle with functioning on his own sometimes. But over the years he's gotten better and better and matured more and more. 

Today, he found me and we had a wonderful talk. Alex loves to talk. Most of the time, I admit that I try to avoid it because I'm always running from one thing to the next and just don't give him the time he deserves. Today, I was deeply blessed by what he had to say. He basically preached an incredible sermon that I wish we could have him get up in front of church and speak someday. It was complete truth spoken with passion.

Alex explained simply to me that he left church early today because he sees all these people who he knows every week and as he sees them goes through their life in his mind. (He has an absolutely perfect memory. He knows more about my life than I even remember.) He says that as he looks at people's lives he sees a lot of people who don't appear to have anything different about their lives than a self-proclaimed atheist would except for attending church on Sunday morning. And in his unique mind, that doesn't make sense. In his words "It doesn't add up when you calculate it. It's a lot more black and white than the grey everyone tries to make it. You know Jesus? He saved you? Okay. Why aren't your priorities about making Him known? Why don't you look any different than the rest of this world?.......I was born with a lot of problems. But God doesn't make mistakes. He loves me. He died or me. Period. I have a mission to tell everyone I see about His passion for them. So do you. Why aren't you obeying that command? Jesus said when the Spirit fills you you will go throughout the world and tell all about Him. Do it, Liz. You're turning 30 on August 2 this year-I know your birthday- Go."

Wow. Thank you Alex. Thank you for reminding me that it really IS black and white. I can't argue with Jesus. I must go. Maybe more of us should be like Alex rather than trying to make HIM fit into how WE are. 

No comments: