Friday, February 19, 2010

Insecure

I had a hilarious experience a few days ago. I'm reading Beth's new book called So Long insecurity. I was reading the book on my lunch break, and my co-worker who is a 60s-something guy took it off my desk, read the back cover, opened it, read the prayer I had written inside the front cover,(At this point I was ticked because that was the LAST thing about the book I wanted anyone to see-especially him), and laughed at me. Told me I was a freak and that "she" (Beth) looked like a blond Bimbo who just wrote the book to make money. I let loose on this dude. I got redder that a tomato and began defending it left and right. "She is one of the most intelligent, educated, real, and true people I've ever encountered. DON'T TALK ABOUT MY FRIEND THAT WAY!" When I came back to me senses, I could see by his dear-in-headlights look that I had reacted more than slightly ridiculously. Then, it hit me. I was clobbering this guy and completely losing my temper over what he thought of Beth. Of the book. Of ME reading it. I saw the huge amount of insecurity I experienced over him seeing it. And I just started laughing at myself. And HE started laughing at me. And you know what he said? "Why do you women always go off on us when we do the littlest thing we think is innocent?" I laughed even harder and told him "Because we're all so insecure!" It was awesome! And man, do I have issues!

There's a deep, long blog brewing. Stay tuned over the weekend.

2 comments:

Macaroo42 said...

Awesome. So awesome.

BeckyLove said...

I am so glad you were able to realize this in the moment! Good job!